Oro-Medonte | by
Ken Hashizume Burl's Creek will be allowed to use land next door during festivals pending 2 conditions are met.
A sense of relief from the Township of Oro-Medonte.
Officials are reacting to an OMB decision regarding Burl's Creek event grounds.
A news conference was held at the Township offices on Monday.
The Ontario Municipal Board ruled on Friday that Burl's Creek can use the 593 acres of land adjacent to the park for camping, parking, and concessions for 27 days of the year even though it is zoned as agricultural.
Mayor Harry Hughes says they are glad that the hearing is over and they can move ahead.
He says once the dire predictions that the opponents laid out didn't materialized, the residents were relieved as well.
The Temporary Use By-Law will run until December 31, 2018 but the board did rule that 2 conditions needed to be met.
Hughes says one is an archaeological assessment and that has been submitted.
He says the other is an adaptive management plan detailing how the property will maintain its agricultural use and that has to be finalized.
Hughes says people who buy tickets to attend shows at Burl's Creek can be confident that the shows will go on as scheduled.
He says there would be some who would not buy tickets to the shows if there was some uncertainty.
There is an application being put forward for a Permanent Use By-Law that Township will work with Burl's Creek and the County of Simcoe.
The decision comes two weeks before the start of the Wayhome Music and Arts Festival (July 28-30).
Hughes says had the hearing continued on or if the ruling was made against Burl's Creek, they would still be allowed to use the 92-acre area that had been designated for that type of event.